 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6543
Re: It's the terror of knowing what this world is about
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 19:16:26 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:

Now I'm sounding like Iain--can't build anything good (but he does look
dapper ;) )

I don't think "dapper" would bother me so much if I knew what it actually
meant.  To me it just conjures up images of tea and doilies and wafers and
everything terribly British.

This is where a trip to www.m-w.com is useful.

:: still loading ::

:: timeout error ::

:: refresh ::

Ah, here we go.

Main Entry: dap·per
Pronunciation: 'da-p&r
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English dapyr, from Middle Dutch dapper quick, strong;
akin to Old High German tapfar heavy, Old Church Slavonic debelu thick
Date: 15th century
1 a : neat and trim in appearance b : excessively spruce and stylish
2 : alert and lively in movement and manners

Sigh.

    Iain (who is at least technically partially British)