 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6422
OT: Why February Dinner is on Saturday, the Long Story Re: Raycraft Specs (tm)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 06:24:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
Who would have gall to change the meeting time just so they could go to
a wedding.  I mean priorities.  You'd think he runs this thing or
something.

One would think.. :)

I actually was expecting a second Friday of the month dinner, but apparently
all of you suck.  So Saturday it is.  Ha.

(I've never, ever been to a wedding)
You really only ever need to go to one.
My plan is to never, ever go to one.  Ever.

This was really quite an interesting wedding.  I've been to several so far,
an Italian one, a Jewish one, a few Chinese ones--but never to one so
unique. So, this wedding was of a good friend, that I've known since I was
six.  They did it at City Hall, simple civil non religious ceremony--overall
goal was to not make a big affair of it.

I got an email about three days ago from my friend Dave, with the subject
line: Err...wedding?  telling me to wear pants and come down to City Hall on
Friday.

Outside is an old man, named Milan, who offers to take photos and video for
you.  Video consists of a VHS camcorder from 1988 on a $42 tripod.  I guess
we declined his services.

His family is still moving to sit down when I'm asked to hold a ring and
sign the wedding papers.  I'm apparently the utilitarian version of a best
man.  In such a wedding there is no best man, maid of honour, wedding party,
but I'm Witness #1 of said nuptial, ring holder, paper signer.

Dave is wearing a suit, his wife to be is wearing a simple lavender dress
and a black shawl and stockings.  I wore a white dress shirt and slacks.
Witness #2 is wearing a black sweater top and a bright pink skirt.  We were
probably the most mismatched wedding party ever.

The wedding begins in the main room, which is very basic.  Not high school
cafeteria simple, it's wood panelled (not ornate) and has some nice flowers,
but apart from that, reasonably understated.  In fact, I can only hope I get
married in such a clean and simple environment.  The judge/officiant comes
out holding a remote control and raises the volume on the stereo, which is
playing Pachebel's Canon or Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring Op144.  I can't
remember.  Dave pulls out a cell phone ("What the hell" is the reaction of
the crowd assembled) and calls Indiana, home of his fiancee's parents so
they can hear.  I offer to hold the cell phone during the ceremony while it
all happens.  I am also holding the wedding band for Dave.  Witness #2,
friend of both of them, is holding wedding band for the bride.

The ceremony is quite plesant-quoting Thoreau.  I think Dave and Vanessa
wrote it themselves.  I'm suitably impressed, vows are exchanged, rings
proffered (I got my cue just fine) and Vanessa's parents hear the entire
thing via GSM voice service courtesy Rogers AT&T Wireless.  Great, with
these rings...cherish each other...strength in...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!
WOOOOOOOOOOP!  WOOOOOOOOOOP!  The frickin fire alarm goes off.  I kid you
not.  Right as the wedding is about to finish, the Toronto City Hall Fire
Alarm GOES OFF.

An announcement: "THERE HAS BEEN A FIRE ALARM DETECTED ON SUBLEVEL 2.  THE
ALARM IS BEING INVESTIGATED.  FLOORS 1, 2 and 3 PREPARE TO EVACUATE"

Meanwhile, the officiant continues to speak.  Husband and wife are okay.
The audience has a laugh.  All is good, except now the alarm has risen to
evacuation.  Which is a problem.  Because in a fire alarm, all the elevators
stop.  But we're STUCK ON THIS FLOOR.  Because if you know Toronto's City
Hall, you'll know that there's a terrace level that city chambers sits above
is CLOSED DURING WINTER.  Which means, without being able to get out via
elevator, we have to figure out a way down from the terrace, which is 20 odd
feet about ground level.

Needless to say, this was a problem.  So, there we all are, wandering around
on the City Hall terrace, looking for a place to climb down.  Sigh.  At
least no one will forget this wedding.  Ever.

I have to say, for all of it's quirks, it was probably the least pressured
or fake wedding I've ever seen.  It was honest and true, which matches the
love of my two friends.  We went to dinner after with David's family at a
restaurant, and took photos.

Calum