 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5917
Re: More contest ideas...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 12:04:26 GMT

3. Pipe Racers

I was at the Home Depot looking at 2" PVC pipe.  The actual components are
relatively cheap-$7 for a long 6 ft length of pipe and about $1 for 45 deg
joints.  They also fit snugly without cement.

I REALLY would like to see a game on pipe racers.  Start with say 20
segments of one or two feet and 20 joints.  Each round is built on the spot
by building a path out of those components.  Everyone runs the "course",
then another path is made.  The lowest aggregate time for the day wins.

The mechanics of building a ring mechanism that could grip and ungrip the
pipe would be really intricate.  I'd like to see how people build
irises-something that is pretty unusual for Lego construction.

There's also the difficulty of building something that can work in all
directions and situations-the pipe could go straight up, down, at an angle etc.

I assume the robots would run on the exterior of the pipe. Would the entire
course be mounted above the floor?

Bruce