 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5729
Re: rtl 13...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 05:23:26 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:
in a word.....none.

any one can make a sumo robot... heck even me.

Your ideas for creating a "kid friendly" lego robot playground are
noble,  BUT the number one reason RTLToronto was founded (and I know
this cause I am one of the three founders)  was so that I could hang out
with other ADULTS and play with lego.

What concerns me with this current thread is Steve previously posted the
"risks" of playing the game and the "lack of rewards" of competing.  I think
we are fortunate that Calum was able to get something from Lego Direct in
the first place.  All those events prior where there wasn't much of a prize
given...a more a prestige/brag factor than a super prize factor.

Sure its nice to be able to offer first prize an RIS (for example), but with
a major event like that comes a lot of compromise, like dealing with the
demands of the commercial sponsors, charging the audience to watch and the
participants to enter.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here.  That has nothing to do with the fact
we're probably not going to do a large sumo game.  We're not going to do a
large sumo game primarily because:

a) Sumo is boring and far overdone by everyone everywhere with everything
b) rtlToronto is not for kids to play, but more for kids to watch and learn
c) We've done Sumo games at three rtlToronto and one U of Guelph event

That said, I expect everyone in rtlToronto be consenting adults who can
afford the loss of an RCX, even as much as we don't like the idea.
Obviously there's no intent to break RCXes or the like, but no one's going
to offer a RCX as a prize in return, that simply is silly.  There's no need
to justify that at all.

The underlying principle of the club is to keep it open, fun, and as
inexpensive as possible.  As long as the members are having fun, anything
else is an added bonus, especially when there is little extra costs, and
the audience is able to enjoy itself also.

That's true.

Calum