 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5720
5719  |  5721
Subject:
rtl 13...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:32:54 GMT

You know, I was just thinking about this and I have a big suggestion for rtl13.  (I know it's already been decided, but that could change...)

This message turned out very long.  Bear with me...

What about just having a big sumo event.  I mean a really big sumo event.  I know Chris has a moral objection to this type of thing, but hear me out.  I really want to do this.

I'm really interested to see just how many robots could be entered in this type of event.  I'm not talking about quality.  I mean quantity.  It could be the biggest all-LEGO sumo event ever.  (I guess the means no custom sensors)

Given that one of the goals of rtl13 is to entertain the crowd, think about this:  A quick check shows there are 13 people pictured on the rtl home page.  Most, I'm sure, own more than one RCX.  So they could easily make a couple small (2lb) sumo robots.  Personally, I would commit to entering SIX robots in such an event.  (including one spybot/sumo, and 'Reactor' which was demonstrated at rtl12).

If the general public was allowed to enter (which I'm sure they would be) I believe it would be easy to get 32 robots to enter.  And more.  I'll bet I could get one or two friends to make up robots.

In fact, I'll bet we could have enough robots to pass out to some of the kids and let them run a robot for a few battles.  (here, kid, the first one's free)  Of course, sooner or later, one of them will say "Hey, mister, this robot..." well, you know.

Ok, this would require some good way to make sure none of them leave the building, but that's not my problem...

So how much fun would it be to watch a kid having a great time driving one of your robots?

Again, these are the little 2lb robots.  Not like the big ones that were used at rtl12.  The sumo circles would be on the floor, so the robots are not going very far when they fall.

A quick calculation shows for 32 robots to battle each other using THREE circles, the battles would last 27 hours.  Ok, maybe that's too long.  But a simple single elimination event with one circle would still last 2.5 hours.

I have suggestions on how to run such a tournament.  But I'll save that for another e-mail.

What do you think?

Steve