 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4987
Re: Compaq LTE support files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 05:09:21 GMT

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 06:09:40 GMT, "Calum Tsang"
<tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote:

Hi folks,

First off, a billion thanks to Oliver for those LTEs.  They're rockin machines!
Seconded

The driver files for respective OSes are here:

Win3.1, 95, 98, NT4.0:
http://www.compaq.com/support/files/LTE/us/index.html
Are you sure? This doesn't work for me....

Iain and I spent some time tonight trying to get one of the LTE5000's to
boot.  What we found was that the machine won't power up with the dead
battery inside.  Iain's getting his into a digital picture frame.
Actually, it does. I've successfully been running mine off a 12V 1A
(extreme rating mismatch) wall transformer. It's no doubt very
marginal given that the LTE5100 won't run off this same supply. I have
to guess that the TFT display draws more power.

In the end, I bought a pair of 19V, 3.42A switching power supplies
from Sayal and I'm using them instead. There is one problem with these
supplies though: the diameter of the center hole on the plug is larger
than it needs to be for these computers, so the supply can be flaky if
the computer is moved. I solved this by folding a paper clip into a
"V" and wedging it in there.

For what it's worth, Sayal also had 14V 4A supplies that also worked,
but the center hole is smaller and doesn't need help to fit. I bought
one and exchanged it the next day for the 19V version because I
noticed that the battery wasn't being fully charged and I wasn't sure
if it was due to a weak supply or a bad cell. I also had a problem
with the LTE5100: I frequently get vertical lines across the screen. I
had initally observed that this seemed to happen most often when the
hard disk or floppy were being accessed, so I guessed that this might
have something to do with a low power supply voltage, being drawn
lower by a load. I hurredly decided to pick up the 19V supply just to
be sure only to realize after the fact that the whole hypothosis
didn't make sense anyway. I had only bought one 14V version initially
but then I decided to replace the wall transformer so I had to go back
anyway. It turns out now that it's a single weak NiMH cell (where can
I get this size?)

The first store I went into had genuine Compaq supplies (used!) for
$70 and when I turned to leave, suddenly dropped the price to $60. I
left anyway. The Sayal supplies were $20 + tax.

BTW the store next to Sayal had the hard disk adapters for $15, so I
bought one as well.

The power supply is VERY FINICKY.  I had a similar supply (17.5V, center
pole positive, 1.8A) and it would power off the machine almost immediately
when driving both the hard disk and floppies.  The power supply original
18V, 1.9A, IIRC.
Hmmm. probably an indication that there's more wrong with the machine
than you think...

I'm going to try and shoehorn one of the P75's into our Taurus for MP3's.
Also, I'm extending the offer to help anyone get an OS loaded onto their
machine.  I have the appropriate Laplink and 40-44pin HD adapters.

On the subject of the Taurus  -  The service manual for my '94 does
have the wiring diagrams and service information for the radio
equipment - and yes, it looks like the tuner and amp are separate. How
can I get this to you?

Matthias Jetleb

P.S.: I've now come to realize, after paying more attention, that the
lines on the screen on the LTE5100 seem to alternate and are triggered
by external events: operation of the floppy, HD, mouse, typing on the
keyboard, etc., so I'm now guessing that it might be a video driver
problem. I had downloaded some drivers from Compaq.com, but I'm
questioning if they are the right ones. They had no effect on the
video problem (which happens right from the POST screen and hence has
nothing to do with windows) and I can't get to 800 x 600 resolution.
It keeps telling my that the drivers are the wrong one's. That's why I
was happy to see the link you posted - different from what I had
looked at - in hopes that it would lead to upgraded firmware or at
least proper windows drivers.  I can't reach the link though.

P.P.S.: Speaking of POST - I've left my "Upgrading and repairing PC's"
book at work - what does LONG, SHORT, SHORT, SHORT mean as a POST code
- no numeric code to accompany it though. (this comes from the
LTE5100)

P.P.P.S.: Did you get a PCMCIA modem with yours? I understand that the
"XJACK" is a spring-out telephone jack built into the card, but what
is the connector next to it used for?

P.P.P.P.S.: On an unrelated note and just because it's been driving me
nuts as I write this: do you (or anyone) know how to permanently get
rid of that !#*#%^& "Install Reminder" thingy on the WindowsME (and
IIRC Win98) system tray. It keeps poping that stupid update reminder
bubble over the text as I write this. I can never get rid of it for
more than a day. It's been driving me nuts for months (esp. when I'm
watching TV) and it just occured to me to ask.