 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4606
Re: Deal on RCX from Lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 03:55:32 GMT

<snip snip>

Just as a quick question, what do people have?  I'm almost certain pretty
well everyone has at least 2 RCXes by now, right?  And there's no excuse for
not having enough motors after the ZNAP clearance debacle :)  Back when they
were $55 in a motor pack, but when they were like $7 each plus a donation to
the Calum Tsang ZNAP Bridge Building Fund, I think pretty well everyone
stocked up.

I have two RCXes, two uScouts and one Scout.  As temping as $90 is, I can't
honestly see a challenge requiring more than six independent function motors
and sensor inputs.  I mean, even a ProjectX^2 (100 cells) doesn't require
more than two RCXes. (unless you design like Chris does :)  I suppose that
might be a good dinner topic:  What games require more than two RCXes?

Calum

I'm probably the lone exception in our group, as I have only 1 RCX, 2 micro
scouts, and a Manas transmitter + receiver.  I've tried controlling the
Manas receiver through IR from the RCX, and it's not difficult, as long as
you're running the 2.0 firmware.  So overall, that's five motors controlled
through one RCX brick.  I guess I just haven't gotten into the robotics that
much yet (I bought the RCX in January for rtl10), but hope to once I'm done
my thesis.  However tempting an RCX for 60 USD is, I can't really justify
it, especially since I've only built the Xbot and a soccer bot using it.
Plus, I have a feeling that there might be an RCX 3.0 on the horizon, maybe
next year?  I mean, why elese would the RIS 1.5s and RCXs go on 50% off FROM
SHOP@HOME ????

On an unrelated note, anyone interested in trading/selling some star wars
minifigs at friday's dinner?  You know, minifigs that you guys may have
duplicates of.  I'm specifically looking for an Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon Jinn, Luke,
etc. WITH light sabers.  I'll bring a few minifigs from my limited
collection.  Let me know of any requests.

see you on friday!

John