 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4591
Re: [rtlToronto] Monthly Dinner, Friday June 14th 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:41:28 GMT

  Iain Hendry wrote:

SkyTrain. Original line. Avoid new line like the PLAGUE.

I thought they only had one line.  Well its not like transit a big thing

No, they installed a second line which crosses the original line twice. It
runs the blobs. The original line runs the perfection.

Ok Iain I'm going to have to call you on this one.  When I was in
Vancouver I had an opportunity to ride on both of the trains and I have
to say I like the new ones.

Granted the new ones are a little odd looking, but the aerospace
engineer in me appreciate the shape even if it is ascetically
challenged.  The very smooth lines of the new trains will have a
definite improvement in drag compared to the boxy older trains.  And
these trains do move fast enough for this to have an effect on power
consumption.

From a riders point of view the new ones are great.  They have a
quieter and smoother ride.  The accordion walk through between the two
cars gives a great feeling of space even though its a smaller train.
Best of all is the large window in the front and back.  There is a flip
down seat right in the middle of it.  You can sit in it as if you are
the driver.  It gives the best view out the front of a transit vehicle
I've ever had.

Sorry man, didn't see anyone melt from the experience of ridding one. :-)

One of the odd things about both trains is they have windows that open.
They are small slit windows above the main side windows.  I wonder if
they have air conditioning or not.

Overall compared to the Toronto subway the whole SkyTrain thing feels
like a toy.  So small and plasticy.

As for the new line, only two stations were open when I was out there.
As I was driven into town I could see them testing trains on the
unopened sections.  I don't think it will be long before they can open
the whole loop.  Apparently the main problem is they don't actually have
funding to run the new line.  Figures.

Derek