 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4277
Re: I think I love it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 04:50:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Richard Noeckel writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
I got mad and punched the wall.
"Fine, I don't care, I'm doing that." I kicked a hole in the wall of this room
(and also a hole in the closet door, incidentally)
I threw my calculator at the teacher in OAC and it smashed off the chalk board.

It appears as though you’ve got issues…
I don’t know whether to laugh or to looked puzzled at you comments.
(I'll choose to laugh on one side of my face,
   and looked puzzled on the other)             `;)
I'll just assume you’re an eccentric and accept your short-coming.
For usually they prove to be most entertaining!       =P

I can see his point...though...he is just a LOT more open with his
displeasure about the subject.

because of math.

Don’t worry about the Math…
We’re in the same boat, I study lots of Theoretical Physics
without knowing the super-advanced calculus stuff involved.
Although though generally, when dealing with immensities
the results can usually be understood through a reductionist
stance. (aka, the use of children's Science books!)

I wish I could understand that sort of stuff.  Then again, I spend a lot
of my scholarly time analyzing financial stuff, at the moment learning about
the audit process (which deals a bit with statistics, well sampling)
Then there is my business strategy class, and my economics class which I
am hurting a bit in, despite it being marketed as a "freshman course".
To top it off, I am taking / took (having about 10 days left of class) an
introductory course in Mandarin Chinese.

(Very Interesting course, too much memory work, especially with characters)
Simple concepts though, SVP sentence structure, no tenses for verbs.
I will be happy with a decent mark, and will still be satisfied with a
simple passing grade (just hope it doesn't hurt my overall average).

Actually, I haven't taken any "real" math class since Grade 12 High School.
We did some formulas in stats class, a few odd formulas in the College-level
Business math class (well we played around with interest formulas most of the
time), some of my other classes, the odd math calculation.  That's about it.

I find use for only some of the stats stuff I did (OAC finite math, plus
it was fun, just don't ask me what I got!!) :)

The stuff I did in Grade 12 Advanced Math, I NEVER use, the stuff in Calculus
I NEVER use, and the stuff I attempted but dismally failed to learn in
OAC Algebra & Geometry (long story), I NEVER learn.

So, I can definitely sympathize with Iain's distaste for math.

Ben