 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4234
Re: Brickfest talk outline
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 00:43:47 GMT

"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote in message

Hi folks,

Hullo, Switchmaster-C!

A while ago I mentioned we might want to do a talk at Brickfest about Lego
Robotics competitions.  It is entitled "Building Competition Robots".

What an excellent idea! It's like when Radonnaria suggested playing "Lemon
Scented Downy" with foam sticks and a hair weave.

Here's the outline I've been working through.  Please add your comments • and
suggestions-I want to present the idea not building Lego robots (that's • been
covered before) but the issues involved in building a robot for a design
competition and the problems that arise due to it.

Okay, that seems to make sense.

-rtlToronto Robotics Video

Which one? Will we cut a new one?

1. The Design Cycle
-Component/Modular Design

...vs. Integrated design. Both have their place!

-Sketching Ideas

Like what pen to use? Or what :)

-Lego vs Reality

A very important one! Sometimes the most logical and proper solution that
you could do in real life you can't touch with LEGO.

2. Building
-Motors: Installing & Bracing
-Motors: What Can Be Controlled
-Gear Ratios

8 to 40 makes Horrace torty
but 40 to 8 denies him a date
(with something pretty)

3. Programming
-Open vs Closed Loop Control

...and where it's appropriate to use either one, perhaps?

-Clean Modular Coding

Excellent!

-Batteries: Your Friend and Enemy

What :)

5. Favourite Mechanisms
-24t to Worm
-Castor Design

I've got a linear actuator design I've used several times I wouldn't mind
showing... somehow.

    Iain