 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4239
Re: Brickfest talk outline
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 05:55:33 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
Hullo, Switchmaster-C!

Yo yo yo, breakin it down on the PBX console.  Frontin with da mad X11
programming skillz.  Aaaight.

I've also gone by the name Postmaster General (my sister's idea) and DJ CLI
while trying to produce my breakout hip hop album by scratching surplus
foreign language education LPs I found from Faculty of Education library.
Needless to say that didn't pan out.  But I am now producing a folk demo CD
apparently.

-rtlToronto Robotics Video
Which one? Will we cut a new one?

Yeah, I figure we'll put something fun together, a short 2-3 minute deal.

1. The Design Cycle
-Component/Modular Design
...vs. Integrated design. Both have their place!

Good point.  I wanted to introduce the idea of designing by component, then
refining it over generations, but integrated design is probably something we
should cover.

-Sketching Ideas
Like what pen to use? Or what :)

Just the concept of sketching out how mechanisms work.  Nothing like using
Working Model or MCAD but introducing the idea of doing design studies and
identifying the hardest part of a design by drawing.

-Lego vs Reality

A very important one! Sometimes the most logical and proper solution that
you could do in real life you can't touch with LEGO.

Like that worm gear backdriving you were talking about today.  Build up of
friction, oversizing due to the thickness of Lego parts, strength/material
selection which you don't get in Lego.

3. Programming
-Open vs Closed Loop Control
...and where it's appropriate to use either one, perhaps?

Yeah.  My favourite was that blockstabbing EOAT for rtl10 you had.  I like
how you closed the control loop using that light sensor and the four 1x1
tiles on the 24t.  Very cool.  I would have never thought to do that.

I also want to make some mention of what you can and can't control.  I found
that it's hard to control via timing (open loop) of something that can't be
controled using a remote (in my case, the 2 second bursts of RoboticMover on
my PalmVx).  And some mention of using slipgears, which is good (ie, you
don't over drive and snap something) but bad (because they do slip, so if
you have more than the friction point, it's hard to time)

-Batteries: Your Friend and Enemy
What :)

I think it's a good idea to identify the fact that batteries drain and give
you inconsistent timings, speeds, illuminations etc.  And that one has to
program for that in mind, and test accordingly (Hi Mario!).  I think back in
like rtl3 I did all of our testing with Victor Rehorst using AC power.  Duh :)

5. Favourite Mechanisms
-24t to Worm
-Castor Design

I've got a linear actuator design I've used several times I wouldn't mind
showing... somehow.

We can do some LDRAW drawings (okay, SOMEONE can do some LDRAW drawings for
us, I stay away from LDRAW as far as I can) or use some digital photos.

One that would be cool might be the basic drive you use for cartesian?

Calum