 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3904
3903  |  3905
Subject:
Interesting/fun ICON story
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:10:50 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Richard Noeckel writes:
Three (3) things:

Calum wrote:
Ah, yes.  The great ICON.
Firstly, I knew that a post concerning a classic computer system would
incur a reasonable amount of nostalgia. And thus instigate someone to
provide a detailed background sketch with an *abundance of info.
Of which I'm duly appreciative. ~Always wanted to understand
the method behind the madness.

Iain wrote:
we did the exact same thing at our school.
Secondly, I believe I can draw so many parallels to Iain cause I'm guessing
we were in the exact same grade. That, and the fact that its always totally
fun to reminisce about erstwhile public school dayz.

Well the computer lab at my high school (which I will not disclose)
only had one lab, and that was all ICON II's (I believe).  They were
"hand-me-downs" from another highschool higher in the "resource chain".

The computers were fun in a lot of ways...
some of the simpler stuff....like making the computers beep....I forget
the alt sequence, and then learning to use basic to make the computer beep.

But the fun didn't end there.... I remember the system (which supposedly
contained an intricate security system).... a couple of my friends and I,
managed to break into a system administrative account.  There was no
password on it (for some stupid reason ... and my accounting teacher was
overall in charge of running the system ... he above all others should have
done a security audit on the system)

well, being fun-loving highschool students that we were, we naturally used
the administrative account, to give ourselves administrative access...
giving ourselves the ability to new_user ability.  We were eventually
found out, but got off by writing / confessing what we did.

hope you enjoyed a blast from my high school days.... about 10 years
ago... :)

Ben