 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2839
2838  |  2840
Subject:
Friday's dinner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:46:09 GMT

As Mattias and Chris have already touched on it, Friday's dinner was one of the
best dinners (I think, since I've been going).  The estimate number of people
attending was 15, and we were missing at least 2 regulars....

Most of the meeting was upcoming robotics competition with some discussion on
rules.  I think there needs to be consensus on rules soon if the proposed
game is to take place in February, giving time for all entries to conform to
the "official rules".

Ralph Hempel, a highly recognized individual in the Mindstorm area, came after
a "prolonged absence".  He brought one of his latest projects, a mindstorm
/ technic servo motor.  Pretty nice.

Others brought their projects too....  I came late, due to other pressing
matters, but found with that many people it was hard to come up with
a unified discussion.  There were pockets of conversation throughout our
area.

I really like the close up of Dave (Koudy's) train cars.... his train "family".
The dinner also highlighted the official opening of Train2 video,
courtesy of Iain and Calum.  I am sure some of the robot only guys are
contemplating future involvement in train events (probably not Chris).

I left early because of drill the following day, and didn't find out when
most others left.  I brought my "silver bullet" that had some mixed
reviews, most of which entailed, "hey there is a (4.5 V motor) inside the
train, does it work?"  And when I said it wasn't, most asked why it was there.
The motor in the train is only for decoration....
The engine has maintenance panels on both sides to repair (if necessary) the
train motor.  It also has a fuel input valve (and fuel guage) on the one
side of the train, right beside the "motor".  I also brought along my pictures
from NYC and (my trip to) rtlToronto 9.

That is all I got to see, and be involved in, I am sure more discussion
and happenings occured before I got there, and after I left.....

One key matter I got from it, was from "the head guy" Calum, who warned me
for Train3 (whenever that would happen), he wants all to bring pre-made
layouts, instead of the make-shift ones (like I did for the two previous
shows).

I can see his point, reduction of set-up time...
but that means I NEED to use some sort of van / mini-van / station wagon
to transport my display....
I would need more help with my part of the display since, it needs to be
carried / heavier and fragiler to move about.

The other factor, is that you can get much more detail in the space if it is
predone to start out with....

however, an opposing argument to this is if we were doing a (professional)
show, we would most likely take several hours the day before the show to do
a decent set up anyways.

If this becomes a "sticky" matter, I will most likely do what Iain does, and
bring a "few, select items", and casually observe, and help out others....
this doesn't matter to me.  (I would bring some rolling stock, and maybe
a couple of MOC buildings).

As always,

Benjamin Medinets