 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2838
2837  |  2839
Subject:
church 99% completed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:19:45 GMT

I received the box lego I ordered from Lego Direct....finally - which upset me
that it took too long - I mailed the money order last Friday, and I finally
got it 8 days after....

not good when you think that now adays you have to pay for your own shipping
costs....but better when the days when shipping was free (but took you 6 to
8 weeks for you to receive your items).

Anyways, I was away for Saturday and Sunday with Drill, so last night, I came
home and constructed it.  I have to heavily modify the windows, but the way
they are right now, I just might take a couple snap shots of them, so you
(guys) can see the inner detail.

I showed my family after I was done, and my one sister (who strongly dislikes
Lego) asked me when I had boughten the "set".  I told her this wasn't a set,
so that made me think that this could be almost believable as a "town" set.

The building is roughly 22 studs long and 12 studs wide, and total height
is unknown (I didn't calculate that).

Total cost of project is unknown, since I didn't count the pieces used, nor
did I use all the blocks (from the service packs) I bought recently.

I spent approx. $110 US on various building elements, and would estimate that
I used approx. $50 to 60 on elements on the building.  Add the battery box
(used for both a power source for the light above the pulpit) and for the
"stage" for the pulpit itself.  I also had to use miscellaneous pieces, like
the arched ceiling elements (from a box of lego 2 years ago that had various
pieces in it), and a couple of flowers and bushes for the front.

So I would say the set is worth about $70 in today's market, and I would also
like to say that with access to shop @ home, the design itself can be
built (no old obscure pieces that are no longer avaiable).  Well, the rounded
"castle doors" might be harder to obtain.

My next project is a "city hall" with a large central meeting room and 10
office rooms for the "aldermen"  It will be part of a larger scene involving
two overhead walkways, connecting it to the "mayor's house" and "the
forbidden city" where the 10 aldermen live.

The hall itself is expected to be 32 studs wide and approx. 63 studs long.
The front will contain a foyer / clock tower, and it will be modularized so
that it can come off to see the "secured door" (in case of attack).

This project might take a lot longer to work on than the church...I had
planned to build the church as early as August...rough design, etc.
just didn't feel like buying the parts at that point.

This might take longer.....finding appropriate pieces, buying enough of each
desired elements, etc.

Anyways, I plan on posting some "preliminary pics" of the church very
shortly, and a few more when I have decided it is 100% completed.

Benjamin Medinets