 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2842
Re: Friday's dinner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:36:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:

As Mattias and Chris have already touched on it, Friday's dinner was one of the
best dinners (I think, since I've been going).  The estimate number of people
attending was 15, and we were missing at least 2 regulars....

One of the best ever I must say.  I think the largest turnout EVER.  Apart
from the fact Rebecca the Nice Waitress (who is probably the only person at
Mel's who realizes we advertise going here once a month) wasn't there, I was
so happy to see so many folks out.

Most of the meeting was upcoming robotics competition with some discussion on
rules.  I think there needs to be consensus on rules soon if the proposed
game is to take place in February, giving time for all entries to conform to
the "official rules".

I think what's in the air is what constitutes in the cell.  I think Chris
and I were both okay with, can be touching the wall but not over the wall.
Meaning, if you extruded the 2 dot wide plate upwards into the sky, it
should not intersect at any point with the game piece.  I'd much rather it
be firmly seated and indexed, but...

Others brought their projects too....  I came late, due to other pressing
matters, but found with that many people it was hard to come up with
a unified discussion.  There were pockets of conversation throughout our
area.

I'm not sure there can be a unified discussion anymore, the group is just so
large!

The dinner also highlighted the official opening of Train2 video,
courtesy of Iain and Calum.  I am sure some of the robot only guys are
contemplating future involvement in train events (probably not Chris).

I had nothing to do with the train video-it's all Iain's doing except maybe
one shot in it which I happened to be holding Iain's camera for.

One key matter I got from it, was from "the head guy" Calum, who warned me
for Train3 (whenever that would happen), he wants all to bring pre-made
layouts, instead of the make-shift ones (like I did for the two previous
shows).
I can see his point, reduction of set-up time...
but that means I NEED to use some sort of van / mini-van / station wagon
to transport my display....

My point isn't reduction of set up time, it's increasing layout quality by
carefully planning and building extensively the way MonLUG does.  MonLUG
literally rebuilt their layout on site if you look at some of the photos,
it's just the designs are much more planned out.  The entire layout was
planned out as a group, together, versus, what one person will bring in
their module.  I'm not sure we can do that, but a start is to build each
module area integrated to begin with.

The other factor, is that you can get much more detail in the space if it is
predone to start out with....

That's sort of what I'm getting at.  It doesn't have to be predone in the
sense that you just add water, it's more of a what you stated above, you get
more detail by carefully building a layout, not individual pieces.  What
impressed me so much about the MonLUG layout is the fact there were so many
"little things" put out there that just don't happen when you decompress out
a few buildings onto a surface, like road barriers on curves, bus stops, etc.

Calum