 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2734
Re: Naming: Request
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 04:43:09 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
I've noticed that at the more recent rtl events have had a lack of names for
robots. IE, it's always just "X's Robot", where X = robot builder.

Can everyone name their robots this time, like we used to like at, say,
rtl4? Who could forget Rogue Penguin! Or the infamous KBot twins!

I propose a requirement that everyone gives their robot a beautiful name. :)

Actually, this would be a good idea.  I sort of miss it too.  You don't have
to spend a long time thinking of a catchy name that is legally
trademarkable, then devise an extensive brand marketing scheme around it
(Team Knob: The Goal is Elevation!)  Just think of one at the event itself,
perhaps while you're driving down to the library.

Ben the Scoremaster will have to write down a name for each.  I leave it up
to him if he wishes to do the Mark Beiro "Let's Get Ready to Rumble" intros
for each robot.

"And in this corner of the Activity Room, weighing 420 grams with a whopping
dual RCX hardware structure, he'll take you to the bank for all you're
worth, it's Bruce Sheridan and Withdrawal Symptoms!"

"In the far end of the table, he'll smack you down like a sack of premix
concrete*, it's Derek RAAAAAYYYYYYY-CRRAAAFFFT!"

Oh man, suddenly I can't wait for rtl10. :)

Calum
* - Upfront, I don't know where I came up with this one.  Honest.
PS-the people with the catchiest nerd like name often loose on BattleBots.
Those guys with that stupid Scrapdaddy 5200 or whatever suck.  I, too, also
come up with stupid names and have always lost.  But the title fight
atmosphere of Battlebots makes me consistently enjoy it more than RobotWars
UK, even if I know RobotWars UK is probably a little more interesting.