 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2678
Re: rtlToronto10 Tentative Rules Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 20:22:19 GMT

I only mention it because Iain was so desperate to use it, and at the dinner
after rtl9 I recall Chris, after much persuasion said he could.  I believe in
the end we decided as a group it was ok, for this contest only.  Correct me if
I'm wrong.

Anyway I got thinking about how Iain wanted to use it, and I though I want to
try that too.  Although I'm currently have some difficulty with it. :-)

Derek

Calum Tsang wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft writes:
I've put the new rtlToronto10 Robotics rules online:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-020002-rules.html

It appears string is missing as a legal non-Lego element in the rules.  :-)

Well, here's the question of the week:  Should something like
monofilament/fishing line be allowed?  We've always said basic rubber bands
and cotton string that approximates Lego string and rubber bands would be
perfectly fine.  But fishing line is rigid and stronger than average cotton
string that you'd find in your average Lego set.    In fact, for reference,
if you ever need to hang a pair of matched Sennheiser microphones over an
orchestra for a simple recording, 20 pound test will support a heavy mike
and 25 feet of XLR cable behind it...cotton twine will not do this.

It may exclude certain performance capabilities to not have fishing line,
but if people want to keep things Lego oriented, it's up there with sawing,
gluing, melting and attaching P3/750 laptops outboard to the RCX for
external processing.

Calum