 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2662
Re: Legends Club Car comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:55:18 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, James Powell writes:

already have a 4558 Metroliner from 1995 (last one in Toronto! :) and it's
companion MetroStation.  (Wouldn't the 4554 be incredible for another
Legends release?)

Ah, so you are the person who got the last to be had.  I went about in early
97, and got one of 3 of the OCTAN tank cars, and saw a half pack of 4.5V points
at The Bay downtown, a monorail in the Eaton's Center (at the downstairs toy
store, I don't know the name of it) -so someone had been picking the bones
clean!

Actually, I haven't really purchased all that much at all-hunting for cool
sets has really become hard these last years.  I'm not the type (either it's
character or capital, I'm not sure) to go around buying multiple copies of
any set, except for 1200 piece tubs and ZNAP :)-I'm not into selling or
trading really. Though I wish I managed to get more than one of those 4537
Twin Tank Transports, I only bought one at a small retailer (who thought I
was Korean and then gave me a 10% discount card (!?))

It was I think April of 1995-I went to TRU after exams and wanted to buy a
Metroliner, and I couldn't find one.  I asked them to search their database
and there was one possibly left in like Wawa* or wherever, but I wasn't
going to drive out there.  I then walked over to Eatons and asked them if
they had one, and again, they called around and found two left at Eaton
Center.  I asked them to put it away for me, and by the time I got there, it
was the only one left.  I was so happy.  I put it together over three days
and it got me back really into building Lego.

Strangely enough, I got yet another Legends release back in 1995, again
almost the last one, again from that Eatons.  There were 5-6 6397 Gas and
Wash Expresses left in Eaton's now very small toy section around November.
I had hinted heavily that I wanted this set, so my girlfriend went and
bought it for me for Christmas.  When we went back on Boxing Day, they were
all gone!

The little store you're talking about is called Toys Toys Toys.  I don't
think I've ever bought anything from them-they're overpriced, and while they
have a nice selection, I just can't bear myself to buy something from them.
I'm kicking myself for not picking up a 4563 from them, they had one up far
up on the top shelf (around late 1995-96).  I should have, but... :)

Calum

* - For non Canadian readers, Wawa is an actual place in Canada, northern
Ontario, but I like many others pick it as a remote town or village to use
in comparison to cosmopolitan Toronto or Ottawa.  (Or Montreal) :)