 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2409
Re: [rtlToronto] Changes to the rtl9 rules page.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:55:23 GMT

It is possible, given very careful targetting of the grappling hook one
fires, to actually grab the last run and tug yourself along.  It wouldn't
really be in spirit, but is technically feasible.

By the rules, isn't it the first Monkey to touch the last rung that
wins?  In this case the Lego string, with the Lego grappling hook "monkey"
would win as soon as the string touched the last rung.  It wouldn't have to
tug itself along.  It could also fire the string above the ladder so the string
lay across every rung, there by touching every rung.

The same sort of thing could be done with a long scissor-arm.

This most definitely wouldn't be in the spirit of the competition.

Apart from this, I'm not going to stipulate you have to touch every rung,
because it limits creative solutions.  One might grab every other rung, for
example.  So I won't push it unless someone is adamant about having every
rung touched.

I'm not big on making up new rules, I think the statement of the spirit of the
competition covers us for a lot of the cheesy workarounds people might come up
with.  However if you did want a rule that would help stop this, you could say
things like

-the monkey must be suspended from the last two rungs or the last rung, to be
considered finished.
-the monkey cannot touch more the 2, 3, or maybe 4 rungs at a time.

Since we start on one or two rungs, it wouldn't be a big deal to say you must
finish on one or two rungs.

I know there is already one monkey that will touch 3 rungs at a time.  Its
design could potentially be expanded so that it could touch 4 rungs at a time.
Its a very valid and impressive design too.

But really I don't think we need new rules, I think the spirit covers us, and
if there are problems we can refine the rules for next time.

Derek