 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2199
Re: updates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:22:13 GMT

BTW, in this photo:

http://24.141.26.239/images/rollstok/p006228.jpg

How did you get the modern 9V track to fit the 4.5V level crossing? You
didn't (gasp) cut Lego?  Actually, I don't mind it.  I gored apart a speed
regulator to built it into a DCC throttle.  It works great.

Calum

Oh it'd be cut.  Let me tell you that cutting a 9v straight track along it's
length is very hard and time consuming.  The strength of the track is in
it's ties and the area b/w the ties.  Once you start cutting that off, the
track becomes very weak.  With a hacksaw and some sandpaper, and a little
patience, I got all the way thru.  I also had to file down the nubs on the
4.5 crossing so the track can lay down flat on the bottom.  I might silicone
the track and the crossing together for they cannot work separately anymore.
Anyway, you'll see it at the next train show (or dinner).

Dave