 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2195
Re: updates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:05:06 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote in message
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:

BTW, in this photo:

http://24.141.26.239/images/rollstok/p006228.jpg

How did you get the modern 9V track to fit the 4.5V level crossing? You
didn't (gasp) cut Lego?  Actually, I don't mind it.  I gored apart a speed
regulator to built it into a DCC throttle.  It works great.

Why would the track have to be cut? It looks like that crossing is made with
four of the gentle slopes (ala daiOtoko - remember him??) and eight 1x8
flats.

Because it's not the gentle slopes found in modern 9V crossings.  It's a
4.5V crossing, which is a single piece that has grooves that one lays 4.5V
grey rails across bolted to two dark grey sleepers on each end.  There's a
groove for the 12V powerrail which is covered normally by a 16x2 double
thickness (actually a little more IIRC) tile/brick.

To get a 9V to fit across I suspect you have to cut apart a 4515 straight
track, because the integrated sleepers of the 9V track won't fit in the two
grooves for the 4.5V rails.

Photo:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/7720

Calum