 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17678
Re: Obvious Chinese Rip-off
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 19:15:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ted Godwin wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Todd Thuma wrote:

Doesn't rip offs like this P*SS you off!

Uhm, not really since its not a rip-off.

It's not a copy of an existing set AFAIK. Why get worked up about a clone brand
in an auction that says it fits with LEGO? Nothing factually inaccurate nor is
there any breach of copyright or trademark that I see.

I think you may be getting a little over-sensitive back there in Hogtown. :

The Chinese have been doing this for a long time now.  I remember seeing sets on
ebay from 1999.  I believe that they were Castle and City sets.  Exactly like
the Lego models they copied.  I don't think that there is much that Lego can do
about it.  However I do not see a great effect from them doing that unless
Walmart starts to import these.  That is Walmarts way of doing business.  They
take an American made product or an imported product and help a supplier get the
exact same thing from China.  Maybe they have extended this to Legos now.  I
wouldn't let a child put them in its mouth.  Might go the way of the cat food
problem or Mattel's many problems.
John P