 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17677
Re: Obvious Chinese Rip-off
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 19:09:32 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ted Godwin wrote:
   In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Todd Thuma wrote:

   Doesn’t rip offs like this P*SS you off!

Uhm, not really since its not a rip-off.

It’s not a copy of an existing set AFAIK. Why get worked up about a clone brand in an auction that says it fits with LEGO? Nothing factually inaccurate nor is there any breach of copyright or trademark that I see.

I think you may be getting a little over-sensitive back there in Hogtown. :)

I think that Todd is referring to how the set is a knock-off of the Maersk-branded tractor-trailer set that LEGO offered in the 90s. Comparing the picture of the Chinese set, it’s clear that they’ve even ripped off the LEGO box art.

Compare this:

and this:

Now, this is fairly old news to LUGNET; it has come up before that there are a number of clone brands out there that make blatant copies of LEGO sets (and even go as far as to copy the box or instructions). It is, of course, disappointing to see. My take on it is that even with a team of lawyers, The LEGO Group will have a hard time getting the pirate companies to cease and desist. The better option, I think, is for LEGO to continue to produce a very high quality product at reasonable prices so that buyers will be suitably deterred from clone brand offerings.

-Jordan Schwarz