 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17355
Re: R22 - swinging bots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:10:45 GMT

Brian Davis wrote:

we made mary.(1)

Now, that's just rude. It may be appropriate, or even true, but I thought I'd
point out the rudeness first.

huh?  rude?

ohhhhh i see, sorry. my por spelling and all that.  we made merry.  oops
  (blush)

two sets of ropes will be well hung from the ceiling

OK, first, your obsessions (or insecurities?) are really creeping (nay,
stampeding) into your post here. Second, do you mean two single ropes (so that
robots go head-to-head, and you have a lot of match-up to run or at least time),
or a rank of ropes, one for each robot (so that it can be a massive "everybody
start at once" style event). The second option would be interesting, although
you've also got to decide if the ropes are going to be closer to the wall or
each other (interferance between robots might be either undesirable, or fun to
watch).

'Course, "two sets of ropes" brings up the next iteration, which is to swing on
one rope until you can identify and latch on to a second rope (tougher). Just a
thought.

hummmm, i THOUGHT i was clear.

2 sets of ropes was to imply that each round or game will have 2 robots
racing against each other.  each robot will have 2 ropes to grab on to.
  much like this image, EXCEPT there will be no seat to join the 2 ropes.

http://www.michalri.net/laughingswing/images/large/lg_swing.jpg

the idea was that with 2 ropes each robot could swing in the desired
direction of the wall. with just ONE rope per robot, AND the rule of not
touching the floor, there is no real way (and NO i dont want to argue
the how abouts) to have your robot swing in the direction of the wall.

The ropes will be 1' off the floor.

I'm guessing you mean the lower end of the rope is 1' off the floor. Aren't you
guys still located in Canada? What's this "one foot" thing? Where are the
centimeters? The meters? The kilograms? sigh...

metric is for physicists and other ne're-do-well's

Build a robot that will be the first to
SWING itself to touch the wall.

In other words, swing in a certain specified direction. Since a rope hung from a
single suspension point swings equally in all directions, that could be
interesting. If you used dual suspension points (like a child's swing... think
of a single rope hanging below a child's swing, minimized) then one direction
would have a different frequency than the other, making directionality a lot
easier (if you want). Since you haven't specified an actual length between the
attachment point and the robot, the frequency of the motion is... somewhat in
question. Interesting...

see above answer with image of swing.

this is the place to ask any and all questions.

What should I make for lunch?

I'd go with something made in a snackmaster(tm)

http://artvoice.com/issues/v5n9/toastmaster/toastmaster

Chris