 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17143
Re: We may have to come up with somethign bigger...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 23:42:09 GMT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f6zV7UFEH4

Been done.  Twice now.

Though to be said, not nearly as great as the plan we have, but if this guy can
assemble 5 'pieces', then we have got to come up with somethign bigger...

Dave K

While I'm not part of the rtltoronto clan, from the things I've seen you guys
do, there is a lot of talent up there.

If you want a suggestion for a 'project', how about the following:

A pick and place system that can pull any variety of bricks out of a bin and
drop them down a shute.  Assuming all the bricks are presorted.

Perhaps there are different configurations for each piece (2x4, 1x2, 1x6 plate,
etc).

Each piece to be seleted is driven off of a singe NXT.

To validate the correct number of pieces are selected, they are placed on a
scale that talks back to a main computer that conrols the whole thing.  Scales
are wired to the main computer and the computer talks to the NXTs via bluetooth.

Now imagine there are several hundred of these.  Each one services a different
brick, style, color varient etc.  The computer receives an order for a 'set' and
tells each NXT what parts to pick.

All picked parts go down a shute and into a common box, weighed again for
accuuracy and sent on it's way.

So you get a prototype of this working, with say 5 nxt systems.  Then convince
the LEGO company to implement for the LEGO factory pick system with 100s of
similar systems, all working together.

How cool would that be?  Having a LEGO set you design using the LEGO Digital
Designer with parts picked by automation robots made out of LEGO.

And what a great marketing piece for the LEGO company.

The hardest part seems to be queing the parts for the pick action of the robot.
I think LEGO does this with vibratory feeders, but someone around here probably
knows a lot more on the topic.

And the other hard part would be integrating the scale, but that is often done
in industry, and again, someone in the AFOL community should be able to tackle
that without too much difficulty.  You probably need scales accurate to about
0.01 grams which aren't too hard to come by.

Anyway, if you are looking for a project, and you are open to ideas, why not
consider the idea.

Cheers,

Ben Fleskes