 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17081
Re: Newfound growth or splintering the existing base?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:25:40 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Todd Thuma wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Todd Thuma wrote:
One correction: BrickFest 2007 was not cancelled, it's being held in Portland on
March 30 - April 1, 2007. Hope you can attend.

- Kelly

Sorry Kelly, but there is not going to be a BrickFest 2007. BrickFest PDX is not
a replacement to the original Washington D.C. version. In 7 consecutive years of
having a AFOL convention in the Metropolitan D.C. area, a convention that
preceeded the introduction of all others, there will not be one in 2007.

I see what you mean by it, although I don't agree. By that line of thinking,
BrickFest 2006 (held in a different venue, organized by different people, and
more of an expo than a convention) wasn't an "original" BrickFest either. So
there hasn't really been what you might term a "real" BrickFest since 2005.

While BrickFest PDX is a sanctioned BrickEvents, LLC event, it is not intended
to replace or fill in for the orginal.

"The original"? Not sure what you mean by that. Is any event not held at GMU a
copy? I've always viewed BrickFest as a contiguous set of equivalent events. I
too am saddened there won't be an international east coast LEGO enthusiast
convention in 2007, but as you say, there are a growing number of events for
AFOLs to enjoy.

We can argue semantics about whether
BrickFest 2007 is cancled or simply not being held, but the point is the D.C.
version is not taking place.

Since it's the only BrickFest event in 2007, it makes sense to me that it can be
referred to as BrickFest PDX '07, or just BrickFest 2007. Both are accurate,
although we do generally refer to it as "PDX" so people know where it is.

There's a lot in a name, as Christina well knows, and it's been important for
the organizers of the PDX '07 event to make sure it lives up to the standards of
the "BrickFest" brand. Location of the event is actually somewhat immaterial,
IMO - you get a lot of the same people, you get the same types of organization
and seminars and displays, and you get access to talk with and listen to TLG
reps. I don't see any of that changing between 2005, 2006, and 2007... except
maybe to continue to get better each year. At least, that's the goal.

- Kelly