 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16958
Re: Newfound growth or splintering the existing base?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:56:28 GMT

Splintering? I hope not!  If anything, the outreach effect of these cons is
amplified by the frequency, drawing in even more AFOLs to "the brick" - folks
that want and need the inspiration provided by seeing an incredible MOC
first-hand. The community aspect of being an AFOL in a club is manifest in the
larger-scale and coordinated modular projects like the massive Castle, Train,
Moonbase, and upcoming MechaHub MCP.  We NEED more of these shows, to inspire
increased contributions to these communities!

But on the flip side, can *everyone* attend 4 shows? Probably not.
This year, I was unable to attend BrickFest in DC, due to the cost of travel
from the Pacific Northwest to the east coast, so I was lucky enough to have NWBC
held right in my own backyard. Next year, with TWO cons right in my backyard
(BrickFest Portland, and Northwest BrickCon in Seattle), I am jazzed that I can
attend at least 50% of the big shows this year.  Now, whether I can create
"MOC-worthy" displays for each show remains to be seen, as the bar is set pretty
high!

I hope the frequency of shows increases in 2008!  Maybe California? Idaho?
Redmond, WA? Anyone want to attend "Will-Con" in my garage? ;)

---Will Chapman
   BrickArms LLC