 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17076
Re: Newfound growth or splintering the existing base?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:19:21 GMT

Can the audience base sustain all these events?

Calum

Calum,

I think the base needs to expand, not only to support the events and grow them,
but to maintain the community. If I had a 2x4 brick for everyone that said on
the LUGNET newsgroups that they were going to stop buying LEGO bricks or stop
playing with LEGO altogether, why I could build a house i could live in out of
LEGOs. So, theoretically, the community is losing people everyday.

Hopefully, through shows, conventions, displays, and the community we gain more
AFOLs than we lose each day. There are a couple of things to consider about the
conventions and get-togethers:

1. Only a certain percentage of AFOLs will travel. Most of the unknowns or
closet AFOLs simply will not travel beyond their area to attend. How can we get
more to do so? It takes marketing and firendship and outreach. Ultimately, there
is a limit to the percentage that will travel.

2. Travel costs are going to double in the next few years. Look at all the
inidcies. Delta is going to be bought out by America (or was it United) either
in an amicable buy out or a hostile take over. The airline industry is going to
go through a round of take overs that will leave us, the consumers, paying
double or more for a ticket. Watch the hotel and convention industry suffer fo
awhile because of it. They will be coming off record profits and rate increases
for the last 2 years. Hotel, airline, and travel bookings are at record levels
and exceed 9/11 levels.

3. Running conventions, large ones, take a large number of dedicated and
committed, both in duty and psychology, people to pull it off. Christina has
already canceled BrickFest 2007 due to personal matters. How many of our
conventions rely on one or two individuals to pull it all together. As time and
life changes occur, these events may or may not happen as a result.

4. What changes at LEGO Company will ultimately affect the fan base? I have
ordered 6 My Factory sets and they seem to be 6 different stories about their
timely delivery. I will not go into that now, but they range from just a few
weeks to "we lost it." With all the company moves of product manufacturing and
distribution and delays published in the news of the supply side, there has to
be some level of impact on the fan base. BrickFest and other conventions have
enjoyed a relationship with LEGO Company unequaled in the world, but that takes
time, money, commitment and personel. How long before they cut this back too?

5. I understand the 2 camps about the convention. One, its for the AFOLS, the
public is not part of or the focus for the event. The other camp says that the
public event must be part of the event in order to make the event a success, or
at least a break even adventure. I still do not know which camp I am in. Small
gatherings with my "buds" is great. I could spend a whole week getting on
everyone's nerves and come away with an awesome time. I could also stand in one
spot the whole weekend watching children oh and ah over stuff I didn't build
(haha) while telling them politely, "please do not touch." For me the public
part helps keep the cost down. Plus I would love to beat Europe and LEGOWorld
bringing in 50,000 or more in 3 days. Of course, an intimate gathering of
friends is great, I just wish there were more single women.

Anyway, I hope the community will expand and all conventions will reach their
comfort level with attendance.

Respectfully,

Todd