 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16963
Re: Newfound growth or splintering the existing base?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 03:11:15 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Will Chapman wrote:
Splintering? I hope not!  If anything, the outreach effect of these cons is

But on the flip side, can *everyone* attend 4 shows? Probably not.
This year, I was unable to attend BrickFest in DC, due to the cost of travel

I guess splintering is the wrong word.  Let's just imagine the situation some of
us might be facing up here in ol' Toronto.  NMRA, which I think the group is
interested in showing at, is in Detroit.  Then there's this cool thing in
Chicago, which is about ten hours away by car...and of course, who knows what
Christina or Joe is cooking up for DC (or wherever else)...also within reach.

...well, regional stuff like BricksWest or PDX I don't think will be in many of
our plans.  But the above three shows have got equal appeal and are all in
drivable distance.

People aren't able to go to every AFOL event.  Because there's a limited number
of AFOLs, each event is drawing from the same pool.  For those in far off places
(eg, PDX) that's not a big deal.  Most from Portland wasn't going to go all the
way to DC anyways.  But for someone who was pretty close to both DC and
Chicago...suddenly you've cut apart the audience.

Can the audience base sustain all these events?

Calum
PS-Those BrickArms at BF DC last year were awesome!