 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16782
16781  |  16783
Subject:
K, that's it! We're doing it!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:29:41 GMT

Pulling a preemptive takeover, I'm running a 'bot competition!!

After watching YouTube for a bit--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xORG6ejni8A&mode=related&search=

and seeing what others are passing off as LEGO 'battlebot' things, and since
Chris and I have been talking about it for YEARS!!!, I'm running a LEGO
battlebot competition

See, with the NXT out, RCX's are becoming, as far as I noticed, pretty
inexpensive (and I have around 9 or 10 now anyways)--

So, autonomous (i.e. no remote control, either PC or otherwise) LEGO battlebot
competition.

And really, for myself, not wanting to restrict any type of scenario, all yor
'bot has to do is be able to MOVE around, on its own!! in the 8 x 8
playfield--no size/weight restrictions.  No limit to battery boxes.

Of course, if people want SOME restrictions, I'm okay with that.

But to start, DA RULZ--

Build an autonomous robot to partake in a fierce battle with other 'bots.

Your robot must have the ability to MOVE all by itself at the beginning of the
competition--this'll stop the 'Hey, it's a giant stack of 2x4 blocks!

Your robot must fit in the 8 x 8 arena, and leave room for other 'bots--'cause
it's hard to get a score with other 'bots if they can't fit in the arena.

Compeitions will run aroun 3-5 minutes, depending on potential 'Wow--didya see
that spectacular hit!!' factors

A round of votes at the end of hte match will determine the winner.

K, I'm in.

We can do this concurrent with the next 'bot competition, or we can do it
'off-line'--matters not to me.

If you're all worried and such about damaging RCX's, well then build your 'bot
better :p

If you build a good 'bot and want to borrow an RCX, I have a spare, but I'll
have to see your 'bot first to see if the risk factor's low.

Dave K