 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15286
  Thoughts about the Target thief

I was sitting at the office when I received an email from a colleague at my old department. It read: "I hope you aren't doing this too!? :)" and had a link to the Bill Swanberg CNN article. Laughing it off, it sank in later in the day how bad this (...) (19 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) Yeah, I got that from about 3 co-workers too, including my boss: "Is this a friend of yours?!" Craziness. :) Iain (19 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) The response is simple. If they drive a car, and chances are they do, simply point to the most recent article about a drunken speeding motorist killing someone and say "I hope you aren't doing this too." There's a word for judging a group (...) (19 years ago, 30-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) Okay, but everyone drives a car. Not many adults play with Lego, making the association much stronger. This makes it quite a bit worse. At some point your response stops working due to the lowest common denominator. Calum (19 years ago, 30-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) So that makes this kind of prejudice ok then does it? You can accept being associated with Swanberg's criminal behaviour if you want, but I for one will not. The car example, because it's something that nearly everyone does, is pertinent (...) (19 years ago, 30-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) This isn't my experience. Most people who know that I build with LEGO think it is cool. Most people I met at shows think it is cool. Only a few think I'm neddlessly obsessed, and they seem socially maladjusted anyway. -Lenyu (19 years ago, 30-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) In fact, I have seen no evidence anywhere that Mr Swanberg ever played with LEGO at all, so even that similarity may be tenuous. ROSCO (19 years ago, 30-Nov-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Talking point : Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) I can see my use of "Swanberg" as a verb. Wow, you really screwed up that robot Dave. Way to pull a swanberg. or My im missing a 2x4 red brick, janey did you swanberg it at the last show? or RTL 23 (autonomous shopping) - rule 3, your robot (...) (19 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Talking point : Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) Satire, on the other hand, I'm perfectly ok with. a (19 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) Not me, man- that eats into the budget for legos and beer... (...) (19 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) In the illustrious words of Greg Hyland, "There are two types of adult Lego fans..." Calum (19 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) No, but still doesn't excuse the fact those less logical will make those connections. The fact that I've been forwarded this news story twice, as has Iain and probably countless other AFOLs means people are making the connections on their own. (...) (19 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) Ya, but is it in the context of a lame bonding joke, or are they seriously suspecting you. I get sent articles about LEGO all the time. Usually about 6 months stale. It's always been in the context of, I know this is something that interests (...) (19 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) There's a very old sci-fi joke A few hundred years from now, when most of the planets and moons in the solar system have people living on them, a conversation overheard on a space-flight from a Jovian moon to Pluto-- "Hi, I'm John" "Hey, I'm (...) (19 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys wrote: There's a very old sci-fi joke A few hundred years from now, when most of the planets and moons in the solar system have people living on them, a conversation overheard on a space-flight from a Jovian (...) (19 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft wrote: <snip> (...) Every few months I get the e-mail "Hey Dave, have you seen this LEGO cathedral???" yes, it's nice. yes it has thosands of pieces no I don't know the person that built it no I can't (...) (19 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) Thank you for correcting that, brain not connecting to keyboard well this morning. (...) I typed bad picture into google images and picked the best one. Derek (19 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft wrote: <snip> (...) I typed in 'Derek Raycraft'(1) into Google image search and came up with this-- (URL) K 1 - may not be the exact phrase (19 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) A quick Lugnet search seems to indicate that he had some interest in Lego trains a few years back and had attended at least one LUG meeting with a MOC: (URL) say I ever saw any of his creations online though... Spencer (19 years ago, 2-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) (19 years ago, 2-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  talking point - dead horse was Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) Oh look, a dead horse. Lets beat it. (URL) dont you own a portable MP3 player? AND you collect lego. I sure hope you are not doing this. ;) Chris (19 years ago, 5-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: talking point - dead horse was Re: Thoughts about the Target thief

(...) Crap, and I was an engineering student at one point too. Calum (19 years ago, 5-Dec-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)