 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15303
Re: Thoughts about the Target thief
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:42:50 GMT

I was sitting at the office when I received an email from a colleague at my old
department.  It read:

"I hope you aren't doing this too!? :)"

and had a link to the Bill Swanberg CNN article.   Laughing it off, it sank in later in the day how bad this situation is for us Lego enthusiasts.  Most of the world already derides Lego fans for being needlessly obsessed with such a trivial pasttime, and now, those who don't know us for that, are going to equate us with criminals who steal from Targets or even by association, trailerpark scalpers who spend all day looking for deals and scalp them on Ebay.

I'm not sure if I want this association.

Calum

The response is simple. If they drive a car, and chances are they do, simply
point to the most recent article about a drunken speeding motorist killing
someone and say "I hope you aren't doing this too."

There's a word for judging a group based on the actions of one person -
'prejudice'. Also 'pig-ignorance'.