 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15308
Talking point : Re: Thoughts about the Target thief
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 00:15:08 GMT

Allister McLaren wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Allister McLaren wrote:

The response is simple. If they drive a car, and chances are they do, simply
point to the most recent article about a drunken speeding motorist killing
someone and say "I hope you aren't doing this too."

There's a word for judging a group based on the actions of one person -
'prejudice'. Also 'pig-ignorance'.

Okay, but everyone drives a car.  Not many adults play with Lego, making the
association much stronger.

This makes it quite a bit worse.  At some point your response stops working
due to the lowest common denominator.

Calum

So that makes this kind of prejudice ok then does it? You can accept being
associated with Swanberg's criminal behaviour if you want, but I for one will
not. The car example, {because} it's something that {nearly} everyone does, is
pertinent because it highlights the absurdity of the attitude.

I play with Lego. That's where my similarities with this person begins and ends.
His illegal bahaviour in no way shape or form implicates that you or I or any
other Lego fan does the same thing. Anyone that thinks so, and any AFOL that
thinks this is 'bad for the community' is an idiot.

That is all.

I can see my use of "Swanberg" as a verb.

Wow, you really screwed up that robot Dave. Way to pull a swanberg.

or

My im missing a 2x4 red brick, janey did you swanberg it at the last show?

or

RTL 23 (autonomous shopping) - rule 3, your robot can not replace a UPC
code on the target toy.  aka -  the swanberg rule

I could go on.

Chris