 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14829
Re: I think we shoudl try this sometime...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:55:39 GMT

I don't get why you wouldn't know it perfectly
the second time through?

   Well, there's a couple of ways you could do it. You could say that no single
attempt can take longer than n+10 seconds (or something), where n is the number
of seconds the robot could make the run in by the shortest path. That way, it
will likely take a couple of runs for the robot to learn the way through the
maze. If you wanted that.
   More complicated would be to have a maze with loops (properly, a labyrinth)
and the goal somewhere not on the edge. These can be constructed so
wall-following won't get you from the start to the goal, so "solving" the maze
becomes much more difficult... and solving it for the shortest path generally
requires exploring the maze even after the goal has been found. The ChiBots maze
(thankfully, for me) is simple, with no loops and even the start & end areas in
predifined locations. I *think* I can manage that (I started the thread in
question) - the tougher labyrinth case I've not even tried yet.
   I'd love to see a Micromouse-style contest, although it'd be tough with the
input/output limitations of the RCX.

   And dang it, I started that thread, not Steve. Well, OK, Steve *was* the one
that told me about ChiBots... and suggested I enter... OK, I guess it *was* a
Hassen-plug ;-).

--
Brian Davis