 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14554
14553  |  14555
Subject:
Calum hates cable select was Re: Canadian Tire
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:41:51 GMT

So my boss just got back from Canadian Tire
He bought a Lexmark Photo printer for 99 bucks--it comes with a 3.1 Creative
digital camera.

all for 99 bucks.

Wow.

Just thought y'all'd like to know

That $99 doesn't come with very much ink.  I was surprised when my aunt bought a
multifunction scanner, copier, inkjet printer for $60 last year too.  Except
that it came with 15% filled ink tanks.  Soon after you'll be spending another
$100 on new ink for it.

Which is why I'm staying with my Optra E310 laser bought 5 years ago at below
par price. High yield toner run $230 but that's what the machine came with, and
lasts me 6000 pages IOW years.

We should all wait for decent colour laser dropping below $500 - already
happened, but those sub-$500 colour lasers are all crap.

Speaking of things that make me very angry:  Cable select.  I HATE CABLE SELECT.  CABLE SELECT IS FOR THE WEAK.  My PVR doesn't come up clean from standby with CS jumpered on the drive.  Yet it boots perfectly fine with the same configuration from cold start.   Cable select SUCKS.

Calum

You're using old cables? Or the new 80wire stuff with 3 plugs of different
colours?

Cable select is for the weak. Real men use SCSI drives on SCA backplanes. :)

I have hacked a few old IDE cables into cable-select-compliance by pulling out a
pin from the middle connector. Seems to work fine for me. However 80wire cable
should have this taken care of already.

I know, cable select on IDE was never quite done right. So yeah, don't try to
use cable select on anything other than a desktop computer.

Keith