 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13826
Re: Santos/McGarry Ticket
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:21:13 GMT

K, that caught me completely off guard.

Yeah, that caught me off guard too.  But what I'm REALLY wanting to see is
Josh/Donna in Season 7!

The teasers from last week made it pretty obvious to me at least.

[...]  But what everyone hates is the fact that John Wells needs to spell it
out for the dumb American audience.  He does stupid things like:

-Put up subtitles like "Republican Congressional Committee Meeting" so dumb
people can follow along.  Listen, I don't know any American history or politics,
but Sorkin always wrote for people who would bother looking it up or knew.  The
ones who don't care don't need titles, they're busy watching Fear Factor.

-Drop dramatic anvils like the stupid close up shot last week of CJ while the
trailout dialogue described a White House press leak.  Hmmm....I wonder who
Wells wants us to think leaked it?!  Could it be?!  CJ?!  The stupid part is, it
WILL be CJ....cause Wells couldn't write us a decoy if his life depended on it.

-Make a blindingly obvious plot arc of Santos winning the Democratic nomination with seemingly unexplicable odds against him.   Ain't it convenient Hoynes had ANOTHER scandal to allow him to pick up the California primary?  How every time Santos just has to "be good" and people support him?  How he chooses not to fling mud in last night's episode, and wins the last round of votes?!

Simply put, Wells is a hack.  Now on the other hand, he did get Debora Cahn, who
is an AMAZING writer and she's penned most of the good episodes this season.

The whole Santos thing is so obvious because of the casting.  It's been mind
numbingly obvious that Santos will end up President next year ever since his
character was introduced: Jimmy Smits is famous and talented enough to be
President, but not so famous that he can't devote himself to a weekly dramatic
series for a few years.  Alda is great as the Republican competition, but
there's no way that he will be interested in being a regular on a permanent
basis - he's busy with Scientific American Frontiers, he's getting on in years,
and if The Aviator is any indication he'll want to be free to do more movies.
As much as I love both Smits and Alda, I wish the casting hadn't made this so
obvious.

The choice of McGarry as VP is lame, but necessary.  You gotta keep him in the
show somehow, but in the real world I don't think that someone in his situation
would ever get the nod for VP.  It just doesn't make enough sense if you pretend
it's not just a TV show.

Josh is a shoo-in for Chief of Staff, which is scary.  I'm not sure Josh is good
enough for that job, but you know he'll get it.  But what will Toby and CJ and
Bailey do in the Santos administration?  Well, CJ should be serving 10 years in
the federal Pen - though I expect Wells will pull something out of his ass to
save her.  But WW without Toby will really suck.

And I'm gonna miss Jed.  I don't see how we can really have WW without Bartlet.

Anyway, it was a great episode, and my surfing days for West Wing sites and
newsgroups are now, thankfully, at a close.

Most of the TWoPpers seemed to really like it, albeit Leo is a strange choice
for VP having had a drinking and Vicodin addiction problem, as well as having a
recent heart attack.

Yeah, not to mention that he's the wrong kind of politician.  VP's are usually
picked from the pools of governors or senators, not from the previous
administration's staff!

--Bill.

PS: Why are we discussing WW on Lugnet?

PPS: What am I doing on the rtlToronto newsgroup?

PPPS: Whatever, it's all good.