 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13825
Re: Santos/McGarry Ticket
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:49:46 GMT

K, that caught me completely off guard.

Yeah, that caught me off guard too.  But what I'm REALLY wanting to see is
Josh/Donna in Season 7!

towards a show--I mean, 'jumping the shark' fans don't even come close.
"Sorkin's show sux after season 4--don't even watch it!" is the kindest I can
put what these malcontents are saying about one of the best things to happen

Well, I think you're sugarcoating it a bit.  Sorkin went nutball in Season 4,
but Season 5...well, John Wells is no Season 1-3 Aaron Sorkin.  Wells brought
the suckiness of ER to the West Wing.  I mean, hey maybe CJ can decide to go and
work in a clinic in Africa! ...maybe President Bartlett can have his arm cut off
by a helicopter!  And then another helicopter can fall on him later and kill him
off! Maybe a shootout in the ER^H^H I mean, West Wing...They'll get a big pudgy
guy to have wacky outtakes at the front desk!  Toby's babies will be deaf!  Or
Kate will have lesbian tendancies!  Hell, maybe Leo can turn out to be a lesbian
too!

And of course, they'll have to do a real time unscripted episode...oh crap, no,
Wells did that with Episode 518, "Access".  Or a musical episode!  Oh wait,
that's Joss Whedon... sorry, wrong producer/writer.

love watching it, and, even though Sorkin and others left, the West Wing is
still better than most anything else on television at this time.  Y'all just

That's true.  West Wing sure beats The Bachelor or for that matter, even
Survivor.  But what everyone hates is the fact that John Wells needs to spell it
out for the dumb American audience.  He does stupid things like:

-Put up subtitles like "Republican Congressional Committee Meeting" so dumb
people can follow along.  Listen, I don't know any American history or politics,
but Sorkin always wrote for people who would bother looking it up or knew.  The
ones who don't care don't need titles, they're busy watching Fear Factor.

-Drop dramatic anvils like the stupid close up shot last week of CJ while the
trailout dialogue described a White House press leak.  Hmmm....I wonder who
Wells wants us to think leaked it?!  Could it be?!  CJ?!  The stupid part is, it
WILL be CJ....cause Wells couldn't write us a decoy if his life depended on it.

-Make a blindingly obvious plot arc of Santos winning the Democratic nomination with seemingly unexplicable odds against him.   Ain't it convenient Hoynes had ANOTHER scandal to allow him to pick up the California primary?  How every time Santos just has to "be good" and people support him?  How he chooses not to fling mud in last night's episode, and wins the last round of votes?!

Simply put, Wells is a hack.  Now on the other hand, he did get Debora Cahn, who
is an AMAZING writer and she's penned most of the good episodes this season.

Anyway, it was a great episode, and my surfing days for West Wing sites and
newsgroups are now, thankfully, at a close.

Most of the TWoPpers seemed to really like it, albeit Leo is a strange choice
for VP having had a drinking and Vicodin addiction problem, as well as having a
recent heart attack.

Don't get me wrong, I like WW this season much more than last.  But that doesn't
mean it's as good as it was with Sorkin at the helm.

Calum