 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13722
Re: Hailfire attachment points
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:42:29 GMT

Ray Sanders wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Joseph Greene wrote:

(i THINK these are the deep links, if they dont work... tough)

i think i learned about deep links...  you have to click the image AFTER
you click the image....

(geesh)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/magno/Hailfire/100_2923.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/magno/Hailfire/100_2925.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/magno/Hailfire/100_2926.jpg

Looks like a great start to me!

Thanks Joseph.

as to CoG and Wheel Center, if the Center of Gravity is above the centerline of
the then balancing becomes a monumental task. If the Center of Gravity IS the
centerline of the wheels rotation (or even really close in to it) , severe
gerbilling tends to occur. If the CoG is well below the centerline of rotation
thenthe construction is more balanced staticly and therefore more able to
deliver the majority of the engines force  to rotating the wheel and therfore
moving the entire device. If the CoG is well over the centerline, you end up
having to make constant corrections and adjustments to maintain the front-to
-back  balance as gravity attempts to knock the CoG down..

I dont think i will have problems with the natural COG of this beast.

When I looked at the first image, one item caught my eye immediately was the
8-tooth gear. When I built my expirement, I had intended the hailfire wheel to
be run in an upright position. The first thing I tried was the 8-tooth gear. I
found the inside of the hailfire wheel (itself an inverted gear) had quite a bit
of (not sure what to call it) gear interference (?) with the teeth of the
8-tooth gear. IOW, when one tooth of the 8-tooth is purely interfaced, the next
tooth to come into play is binding (ever so slightly) because of the inverted
nature of the hailfire wheel. One way of describing it is the ratio of the two
gears (one negative teeth and one positive teeth) is too far off from one
another for smooth operation. When I tried this I held my version upright and
tried to spin it. It was obvious that there was much binding and friction. So I
reengineered the center system to use 40-tooth gears (less available and more
expensive) and found that the gear friction dropped way off (and it was
noticebly quieter in operation). I used 4x 40-tooth gears. I think it might be
set up to use 3, but I doubt that 2 would work. This may or may not be an issue
for you, but it made a huge difference for the item I was trying to build.

Ray

Ray

Thanks, I had no problem with this set up. Have a look at the second
photo, you can see that the 8t mesh very nice.  The only issue I had
with any gear i have tried, is that the gears do not "center" on the wheel.

Meaning, the width spacing of the hailfire wheel, is (a guess) 1mm off
regular lego sizes.  I used a trick from Iain to reduce the left/right
slop by adding a "spacer" made from this old gear.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=4143

Chris