 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13407
Re: Callin' all da ballahs in da house, c'mon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:45:25 GMT

I remember you had that double technic turntable marble-on-top-of-piston-heads
video that was the second coolest thing I've ever seen built out of LEGO
Technic...  I dont' think I have the video anymore--have to go scrounge it up...

It was actually a quad-turntable.  :)  I can send it to you when I get home
tonight if you like (it USED to be online, before Rogers went to crap... argh!).
It in turn was inspired by a machine I saw by IDF, at a plant in Georgia where
we installed the first Vipers.  They had a whole whack of CAMCO CamBots powered
off a single driveshaft.  The whole machine was mechanical - no programming.
The programmer wanted them to put an encoder on the timing shaft instead of prox
flags.  Every time I went there, he would always talk to me about that.

CamBots are neat.  You can buy them in all different configurations, different
timing profiles based on the cams.  Sadly the only time we ever use cam-driven
devices is for indexers on automation tables.  Anything else we do with
actuators from a flexibility standpoint.  IE, if you use a Cambot, you have to
decide up front, "This is the motion and stroke I need", and it can't change
halfway through.

Anyway, if you liked that, you'd probably REALLY like this:

http://tinyurl.com/6zjpv

Click on the one for Servochassis.  You might like the feeder, too.

This is the kind of stuff I look at for inspiration/ideas.  They had the
SuperTrack at NPE2003 (big plastics show, I think it's 2nd largest after K in
Dusseldorf) and I sat there for like, 20 minutes oogling it.

ANYWAY, I'm giggling, because when you posted you wanted to do that... I got
excited because last night the reason why I was asking about the spec is because
I was thinking about doing something similar.  Think of a turret type robot with
multiple pick heads addressing various fixtures:

http://tinyurl.com/5f465

This just... lawd.  I can't even.  I DO NOT EXIST.

Then there's Tijs... (which I always spell wrong, but eh)--yep, I want a 'pick
'n place GBC!

No, that time you actually spelled it right.  :)  I named it after Tijs Verwest,
better known as DJ Tiesto.  I went through a Tiesto phase a few years ago.  My
rtl18 robot is named Donut, after my favourite character on Red vs. Blue.

Have fun with it--if anyone is talented for moving marbles around with LEGO,
it's you!

Well, I have a new thing.  But I'll save it for a demo at the competition.  :)

    Iain