 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12965
Re: Those RC car motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:23:30 GMT

I built a sumo robot for BrickFest '04. Oh, sorry, that's right, can't mention
sumo on this channel.

whats sumo?  cant be any good or fun if RTL has never done it.

Now, you guys are just getting personal...

Ok, I built a vanilla robot that happened to use two RC motors. First time I
tried it on the kitchen floor, it damn near killed the cat.

Sounds like a damn near successful robot.

I used 9v (6xAA) battery packs to power the motors one per each and used regular
gear motors to drive cams to operate the battery packs' buttons. Worked great!

If you want to use the RC motors, there are a couple things to know:
1) You can not power them from an RCX.  They'll run, but not as well as the normal
geared motor

2) They run about 3x as fast as the normal motors (using the last output on the RC
motor)

3) Powering them from battery packs, you can either use John's method, having cams
pressing buttons, or use polarity switches.  Either method requires extra motors to
control the RC motors.