 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11750
Re: Calum's gonna love this...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:24:34 GMT

Turns out that out of the 3 non-functioning DC120's, 2 were in near perfect
condition and perfectly operating, and the third has a cracked LCD (like mine
but worse) and a broken  switch--no way to view the pics once you've taken 'em.

Oh my god.  I take a lot of digital photos-on my Canon S100 and Nikon 4300 alone
I've shot more than 6000 photos in three years.  But that DC120 wins by a long
shot.  Holy.

I become attached to people and things, and, unless something really peturbs me,
that attachment continues--for example--LEGO has never pi**ed me off, therefore
I still have that hobby.  One 1986 Honda Prelude didn't bug me until the
maintenance costs far exceeded the (my idea of) value of the car, so I got rid
of it, and now I'm 'attached' to one beat up ol' 1988 Dodge Dakota pickup.  My
DC120, going on hiking, canoeing, camping trips with me over the past 6 years,
and being dropped, rained on, kicked, and generally abused and yet still taking
great pictures, I decided was worth the little effort and the 30 bucks US to
'fix up' :).

Here's something from last night--

I get home from work and take all 4 cameras outside and take the same picture
with various settings on the cameras--zoom, macromode, etc...

Now a little history--I buy my camera on my birthday in May of '98.  After
taking a few pictures, I noticed that in 'normal' mode the picture was clear,
but when I zoomed in on anything, the pic was a little 'fuzzy'.  Calling the
Kodak people, they informed me that it was an issue with the make of camera.  I
voiced my incredulity that Kodak would knowingly sell a camera that was 'out of
focus' on zoom mode.  But, after being told that there was nothing I could do
about it--the zoom focus wasn't that bad, so to me, wasn't worth returning--life
goes on, and I kept taking pics for 6+ years, careful not to use the zoom
feature too much.

So last night, after taking pictures with the 4 cameras, I noted that the other
3 cameras took perfectly clear pictures in zoom mode.  Well, it's only been 6
years!!  I could call up Kodak and give 'em a piece of my mind, but a) not
really worth the rant and I'm not inot that, and b) not too many pieces of my
mind left to give to other people.

Eh, whatrya gonna do?

I spent the remainder of the night watching Gilmore Girls on DVD and taking the
lens unit out of the camera designated as 'parts' and putting it in mine.  Now,
after 6 years, my camera takes a good picture in zoom mode.  Maybe Kodak should
hire me.

So for 30ish bucks US, I have two 'close to perfect' DC120's, 1 reasonably
working DC120 (my original with 'upgraded pieces--no more duct tape!) and one
DC120 that will take pictures--you just can't see 'em until you d/l 'em to your
'puter.

For those of you who have never had the pleasure of the DC120, the camera had
the cracked lens, dropped off a table by the ex-fiance, has a broken strap...yet
some how still lives.

Yes, and now there's no duct tape :), the lens is fixed, and I still have parts
for future breakages.  My boss and co-worker are contemplating buying the two
other working cameras...

You get an eye roll for keeping the damned thing but a thumbs up from the side
of me that's a cheapskate.

Mmmmmmmm... Cheap...

Ggghhghhahhghhghhahghhhhhhh...
(Homer Simpson drool...)

Calum
PS-I was at Frys today in Dallas Fort-Worth.  Frys is the weirdest store I have
ever seen.  It has the ugliest retailing ever, with almost zero organization,
yet carries everything from PLCC sockets to dishwashers.  Imagine my surprise
that you could buy a multimeter in the same room as the Steely Dan concert DVD.

I'm in DFW indefinetly as of yesterday.  It's depressing to be stuck living from
hotel room to hotel room. :(

That's my usual life during the summer--I've lucked out this year and am only
visiting 6-8 branches, instead of my usual 15ish.

Dave K