 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11415
11414  |  11416
Subject:
Jake's Colour Background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 20:36:36 GMT

[This message is intended for the members of rtlToronto.  I'm interested
in the views of the, I can't believe I'm describing them this way but
relativity speaking, rational people of our group.]

In case you haven't seen.

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=1791

Now this make complete sense and in the context of this description the
colour change makes complete sense to me now.  A group within the
company is charged with cleaning up a bloated colour pallet.  They look
at the colours and see the greys are somewhat muddy in colour so given
their charge they crispen them up.  That certainly fits with the assumed
look and feel of Lego bricks.  Make the greys true greys instead of
muddied grays.  I'm not quite sure how to explain change to brown, but
whatever.

A quick change over makes total sense.  To the general public the period
of noticeable difference is greatly reduced this way.  For us AFOL it's
a little harsher, long term expectations are stronger for us.  However I
don't think a slow progression of change would be any better.  Probably
worse.

Also by making the change quickly the idea of it being an "issue" will
diminish more quickly.  In a year or two those people upset with the
change will either have accepted it or have gone away.  In 5 years we'll
all have more then enough new grey, no-one will care about the old grey.
  In 10 I'll probably have retired my old gray to the bucks of not to be
used Lego.  (Currently these hold all the older bricks with the thicker
outside wall.  Their colour is a little off compared to the thiner
walled bricks of today so I choose not to use them.)

I think it's very telling, and not surprising that there has been little
negative feedback from the general public.  Companies do this kind of
thing all the time and for much weaker, or even devious reasons.  They
really did change the frame colour on the Jerker computer desk.  The new
accessories don't match my desk.  I am far from surprised by this.

Switching back would be a big mistake.  The reasons for making the
changes are valid.  The expected reaction for the target market been
shown to be valid.  The expense of going back would be very high and
would only generate a reverse fervor from a group that's already freaked
out on them once.

Besides I like the new greys.  I can't wait till I can start getting
them in volume.

Was it a mistake to make these changes?  In the grand scheme of things I
don't think it was required.  I doubt it will have long term positive or
negative results.  However sometimes a change is needed just to put a
spark back into something or to reveal something about the group
involved with it.  This change has certainly opened my eyes to both the
fun and scary aspects of fandom.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here in rtl, but I just wanted to
voice my opinion on the subject in a form populated by a known quantity
of loonies.  :-)

Derek