 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11213
Re: Why I Love LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 20:12:09 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
With LEGO, if you do not have a kitchen appliance, YOU JUST MAKE ONE.

Iain-

Exactly.

One of the first things Thomas ever built (in his first LEGO year, anyway) was a
graham cracker crusher (for making cheesecake crust). It used two adjacent
counter-rotating axles populated with 24 and 32 tooth gears. Worked well.

He also had trouble holding a full hand of cards for games like Uno when he was
little. One time, he excused himself from the game, disappeared for 5 minutes,
and returned with a LEGO card holder.

David won his school, district, and county grand prize science fair with a wind
tunnel instrument made almost completely from LEGO. The device spun a tennis
ball while freely tilting perpendicular to the air flow. The sine of the tilt
angle was proproportional to the Magnus force that causes a sliced tennis ball
to curve.

When I dismounted the thermostat from the wall in the family room (to make room
for more LEGO cabinets, of course), I built a stand for it out LEGO and set it
on the top cabinet. It's been there for years now.

Valentines's Day occurred while I was BrickFest PDX. It's also the anniversary
first date with Susan. Although Susan is into LEGO, she did not make the trip. I
knew I needed to not miss Valentine's Day. So, I left a LEGO rose in a LEGO vase
with a LEGO heart (under a "do not remove until February 14 sign). I'm still
married, so it worked <g>.

We needed toothpick holders for our last SCLTC home event last month. We built
them out of LEGO.

-Ted