 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 110
Re: 4 wheel power robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 12:18:21 GMT

"Chris Magno" <cmagno@home.com> wrote in message

Thanks, I'll try putting distance between the motors

Hint: Wide + Short. :)

The wider the base is, and the closer the wheels are together front/back,
the less binding you'll have. If you have a very narrow design, that is
long, and you try to do A+B sterering you'll have virtually no success. When
the wheels are closer together forward/back, and you have them far appart
sideways, you're geting closer to creating a situation as if you had only
one wheel. See what I'm geting at? The wheels are therefore *almost* lying
on an axis which passes through the centre of rotation. When you've got a
long, narrow robot with wheels way far along the body, you're no where near
to that setup.

This is why daiOtoko, my sumo robot for Guelph, had a wide, but short, body.
Of course, there is no way to completely eliminate the skidding with 4 tyres
like this, unless you want to pivot them inwardly a few degrees, so that
their axis of rotation passes through the centre... and it wouldn't surprise
me if you actually *did* that. ;)

    Iain