 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 108
Re: 4 wheel power robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 03:18:00 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
open request to all:

during the last robot games some of the entries has 4 wheel 4 motor
robots.

how well does this work?

is it like a track, and A B steering? is it less stable?  does anyone
have advice on building a robot and powering each wheel with its own
motor?

The sumo 'bot I made for Guelph originally had 4 motors/4 wheels.  the problem
is I joined
the geartrain for each side together, so the one wheel was geared directly to
the other wheel on one side of the 'bot.  This caused more binding when the
'bot tried to turn--one set of tires driving backwards while the other set
driving forwards.
Then I saw Iain's ramp 'bot and realized that I really didn't have to connect
the two tires together via gears, that the motors themselves would be fine.
This also helped remove some binding because each tire can spin independantly.
There is still binding when turning, though, especially if the 'bot is heavy
and each set of tires is going in a separate direction.
The old tank treads handled this much better, which I want to use in my next
'bot, but the problem there is the treads themselves--they come apart too
easily and that's no good, especially in a competition.
I am, presumably, working on a solution ;)
Bottom line is that the 'bot is very stable, moreso when you put the tires
farther away from each other.  And AB steering, as far as I can see, is the
only way of doing it.
I think I have some good pics on my 'page showing the setup.  If not, I'll whip
up an MLCad pic for ya )
Dave