 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10610
Re: Stiring up excitement.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:21:09 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
Ok, for once I'm not trying to stir up trouble...  :)

rtl15 is about 3 days away.  If you're building a C$ robot, it's too late to
change your strategy.

Otherwise, it's NOT too late to start building a marble sorting robot.  :)

I'm curious if anyone will 'leak' any information about their robots.  You know,
something for Larry to think about for a few days.

For example, I think my robot is unique in the fact that it doesn't have any
pieces that move vertically.  I'm not suggesting that its simple, but no LEGO
parts move up and/or down.

Anyone else have anything interesting?  C$ OR marble?

Well, since I have concluded that I cannot get away for the weekend in order to
attend RTL15, I guess I'll de-lurk and describe my C$ robot.  I would send the
'bot up with fellow NELUGgers Dan, Jen, and Dave, but it's NQC -- Not Quite C$.

My robot is a side-entry version code-named "Dipstick."  The name comes from the
way it scans -- by poking a dipstick down each column to determine the height of
each column of chips.  Once you know which column got taller, you know where the
opponent just played.

My (not fully implemented) design uses only two motors and one RCX programmed in
Quite C.  One motor drives the platform left-right to align the dipstick/chip
drop mechanism over the board, the other motor raises and lowers the dipstick.
The dipstick motor does double-duty to also drop a chip when it is fully
retracted.  I signal end-of-turn using the horizontal drive motor by retracting
the whole mechanism until it pushes the switch, then backing off slightly after
a 1-second interval.  Each motor has a rotation sensor to tell the position of
each mechanism, and the opponent's EOT switch is wired into the third sensor
input.

The code is a hodgepodge of stuff cobbled together from a couple of open-source
Connect-4 implementations with a few "improvements" (I think) but this is in
even worse shape than the robot.  I hadn't completed the game logic to my
satisfaction, and so, hadn't started coding the scan&drop functions yet.

I had really hoped to be able to come up and participate, and give the RTL gang
a chance to abuse me in person.  :)  I'll try to be more together in time to
attend RTL16.  And if I give my wife enough advance notice I might even be able
to go.

I'm looking forward to seeing some great pictures and video next week.  Best of
luck to all competitors!

- Chris.