 Organizations / Australia / 124
Re: <<expletive indicating frustration deleted>> language
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.au
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 04:43:54 GMT

In lugnet.org.au, Jamie Obrien writes:
Hi, well there are alot of Australianisms that just dont' go down at all
overseas, and generally get taken badly in the US and UK unless seen from the
context that they were meant. I have to explain myself alot, because i forget
i'm talking to an American in the Middle Eats or a Brit in Japan.

How about if people are a bit offended, and it is an Australian Group we can
either:
  a> create a list of words that can be accepted as long as they are only • used
in org.au, and are defined in a special FAQ somewhere.
  b> have org.au taken off the LUGnet front page so any language doesn't
transmit openly to the outside (THey have to come looking)
  c> Have an offline group (email) where language can be discussed before
introduced into the list.

Remember this is oz, the 'F' word is now so common it's use is legally
allowable in most situations (Even to your boss), though i hardly use (Except
for explaining to soccer refs the intrices of the game! :-O #%$#%$) because
there is usally an easier way to get a point across.

Is it Legal to swear, Yes. Is it Right, treat others the way you'd want to be
treated yourself.

Jamie

There are probably a few juniors reading our posts too.
Keep that in mind when you feel the need to make things more 'colourful'.

Lego *is* made for kids afterall!

Braith.