 Organizations / Australia / 1062
1061  |  1063
Subject:
New Duplo Trains (was Re: Myer Value Packs)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.au, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.duplo
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 03:21:35 GMT

In lugnet.org.au, David Low writes:
I was too excited because they've finally got the new Duplo train stuff!!!

So what's hot and what's not!? I grabbed a bridge -20% and will probably go
for some points as well.

Buy track, and tunnels, I'm not impressed with the new sets (see below).  If
that's your 1st bridge, buy another, much more you can do with two.  Lots of
straight track, you'll probably pick up enough curved track in other sets.
I've bought every pack of straight track that I've come across in the past
3-4 years and only have 11, maybe it's easier to find in Sydney!  Points: 6
- 8, I use 6 a lot, the other pair sometimes.  Level crossings - probably 2
would do.  Crossover rails, I've got one of these and have wanted another
for ages, still waiting for these to turn up!  BTW I think LA still have
some Stop/Start rails, $13.25 (they used to be $18).

Apart from the tunnel I don't think any of the new sets are value for money,
they've also got a chunky "we've juniorised these too" look about them.  Not
that they're all that bad but I still prefer the older range.  Personal
preference I guess.  I haven't done piece count comparisions but it looks as
though the older sets had more in them, or at least more useful pieces.  So
if you can still find old sets buy them instead!

I hated the 2938 Tunnel in the pics but it actually is much better than it
looks.  It has been designed to run a bridge over the top (removing the
inner support pylons and connector), and I've just gone out and bought a 2nd
one.  Still pricey for what you get ($39.95 - 20%) but I like it.

The 2936 Station is a rip off ($79.95 - 20%), unless you think the carriage
is worth that much!  As a Duplo collector in general it has some nice pieces
(the clock with moving hands, 3 blue 6*2 bricks - this colour of that size
is rare for some reason, canopies), as a train collector it's nothing
special and overpriced.

The 2932 starter train is poor value too ($129.95 -20%), same price as the
older one and I'd recommend the older one.  I don't like they way they've
designed the new engines, 2 pieces instead of 4, very chunky looking, looks
better in the pics than real-life.  Looks good with the new wagons, silly
with the old.

2937 Supplementary wagon ($24.95 - 20%), 2 of these makes a cargo wagon,
it's ok I guess.  The one thing I do like about the wider yellow wagons is
that without the framework on top they make nice flatbed trucks to connect
to the older cargo wagons (the wide-top ones on the thin blue wagon bases).
All the new wide wagons/carriages look absolutely ridiculous hooked up to
the slim line older ones.

2931 Circus Push Loco ($39.95 - 20%), this is the only older style new one,
the Push Engine is the same as the old push engine in different colours,
"circus" is only printed on one side, I'd rather it wasn't printed on there
at all.  The disappointing thing about the wagon is that the yellow plastic
is thinner than the older wagons (for Duplo collectors: it's the same as
last years yellow light and sound construction trucks as compared to
slightly older Duplo trucks).  If a kid trod on it it'd probably break.
Probably not an issue for you but it is for me :)

Haven't seen the new Deluxe set yet, judging by the pics I'll be
disappointed but I'm likely to look out for it for completion.

Deidre (gee, that was long, sorry!)
drb@tasmail.com