 Organizations / 9
Re: Reigonal User Group building centers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:57:25 GMT

In lugnet.org, Kevin Loch writes:
After Mindfest and in particular the NELUG meeting, I'm wondering
if the Reigonal user groups could set up building centers. The idea is to pool
resources to enhance everyone's building experience.  Other obvious benefits
would be:

- pooling resources would mean that you would quickly have a "Mindfest"
magnitude parts selection
- members would regularly meet to build and socialize
- you could charge membership fees and accept donations that would go entirely
to buying parts
- displays could be built to impress visitors/guests
- great way to build and retain membership
- vehicle for corporate sponsorship (possibly even TLG!)

I do like these ideas and have tossed them around in my head myself but it
allways comes back to $$.  One of the biggest problem is to balance donations
with peoples ability to pay.  I for one could probably donate a fair amount but
someone else may be fairly limited in what they can contribute.  Do you exclude
these people because they don't have the ability to contribute as much as
others?  Obviously the answer to this is no but then you have to figure out how
to included everyone without requiring a large membership fee.

The group would need to have a space to house
the elements and space to build and display creations.
The group would incorporate so the organization would own all the
elements and for liability reasons.

There are actually a couple of things I could think of for this.

1.  In my City of Melrose MA the city has donated space to a local Train Club.
As I understand it this club is able to set up their layouts in this space and
have regular meetings there.  The catch is that for a month or two around the
Holidays in November and December this area is open to the public to come and
see what has been done and watch the trains run.  Obviously this would be an
ideal solution as far as space goes but it would take alot of leg work to set
something like this up.

2.  To do this semi-privately I think that you would probably need a minimum of
100 paying members that would be willing to contribute a relatively large about
of upfront cash ~$1,000 or so.  This cash could then be used to rent or even
purchase some property.  Logistically this seems quite difficult and would
require alot of organization including having officers for the group
(President, Vice President, Tresurer, Secretary).  While I think that this
could be feasible at some point in the future I think the local groups need to
go through their "Growing Pains" before be try and go to big.

Then once you have space you have get the Brick and this would take alot of leg
work as well.

Incorporation is one way to go but that requires alot of work in itself
including having to file tax returns and just the general expenses
incorporation brings.  Of course we could have people donate services as part
of membership but this still seems like a hugh undertakeing.

Obviously you would need some rules:

- no elements leave the building except with explicit permission.
- saftey / behavior rules
- you must wash your hands before handling the elements so they don't   get
greasy (sorry, my OCD showing)
- kids must be accompanied by responsible adults

Obviously this is the short list and would require alot of expansion.

Could this work?

Yes, in time I think it could work but for now I think building interest and
membership in the more informal "LUG's" is the best approach until interest
grows beyond the ability to have informal meetings.  So all said and done I
would say take a wait and see approach and if say NELUG were to get over a
couple hundred interested members then maybe it would be something to consider.

We have had a small spike in membership since Mindfest in case you were
wondering.

Eric Kingsley

Remove ".nospam" when replying by E-mail

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/