 Organizations / 6
Re: Reigonal User Group building centers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:59:56 GMT

Kevin Loch <kloch@opnsys.com> wrote:
After Mindfest and in particular the NELUG meeting, I'm wondering
if the Reigonal user groups could set up building centers. The idea is to pool

Yeah, I've thought about this. Downsides that come immediately to mind:

- what happens if someone leaves the group? do they get a portion?
- what happens if i don't contribute? am i a second-class citizen? can
   I still play?
- people are just plain used to having personal property.
- how do we decide what to buy? I'd like to have ten more RCXes. Although
   I think your models are awesome, I'm not heavily into Star Wars...
- how much money would we need to have anything useful? I don't think any
   of us are rich. Karen and I have only a certain fraction of our money
   that we allow ourselves to spend on lego, and that's not a number that's
   likely to be increased anytime soon. i don't think any of us want to
   decrease the amount we put into our personal collections...

And of course this one:

The group would need to have a space to house
the elements and space to build and display creations.

The Mindfest joke about "oh yeah, I'll 'store' that at my house for you"
seems like it might crop up again. :)

But, i do think it _could_ work. I'd be interested in doing something like
trains this way.